Friday 5 September 2014

Fat Hen and a last summer burst

Wow, another week has just flown by, and I don't really know where it's gone. How can it be just over a week since I handed my dissertation in? And nearly a week since I returned from Exeter?

Time has this uncanny knack of doing that, of just flying away.

Anyway, since dissertation hand in, it's been a return to life with a bang.

I spent most of Wednesday pulling up a weed called fat hen (trust me, it really does exist). It is something that they used to use in Tudor times, as a sort of precursor to spinach. It kind of died out when spinach became popular. If you search it, there's surprisingly a lot about it out there - including a recipe for fat hen souffle! We pulled all ours up, which took all day. It was surprisingly satisfying though - especially when you managed to get a tough one out! By the end of the day, the vegetable patch was looking a lot less weedy, which was good!

The day before that I ended up helping my dad fix the windscreen washer on his Land Rover. I say helped - he needed someone to push the button every now and again as he couldn't do it all at the same time. Still.... a fun afternoon! We had to pull the whole dashboard off too (lots of screws), which was one of those jobs that was easy enough to pull it all off, but putting it back on and finding which screws went where was a little more challenging....

We had a last burst of summer this week, but it appears to have disappeared again just as quickly, which is rather sad.  So, I suppose Autumn is getting ready to stay, although I'm still holding on for another Indian summer....

No comments:

Post a Comment