Friday 1 November 2013

On Not Doing NaNoWriMo

Hey, so for the first time in eight years November isn't all about doing NaNo. And weirdly, it doesn't feel strange. All the talk about it on twitter and facebook is kinda strange, but I haven't felt any sort of twinge of regret at not doing it. I am so entrenched in other projects and with so much else on, I haven't even had a chance to think about it. September and October are normally full of it, but I haven't even visited the website. What is this? What has happened to me?

It's strange. Like a release from something I was obliged (?) to do before. But this year I'm doing it in my own way. I'm half way through one project, so I'm going to try and finish that, and then I might start something new. And this is better for me. I won't be racing to hit 50,000 words, but I will be writing. And this is the best way for me. There's all the excitement, the huge integrated network of people joining together just to WRITE (which is amazing. I love it). And I can still have the fun of that - I even did care packages with one of my good friends, because that's what we always do. So not much has changed. And it's a bit of a relief really. If there had been something I was itching to write and I had finished my current project, I might have gone for it, but no.

It's still weird though. It doesn't really feel like November yet. But at the same time, I don't feel like I'm missing out. Not yet anyway. I'm still writing anyway. And I've done this thing seven times! 

NaNo, I am so over you. (I'll be back next year probably).

Everyone who IS doing NaNo this year GOOD LUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment